What does GeriMedRisk offer?
- Rapid access to an interdisciplinary team of geriatric specialists through phone and eConsult
- Response in a median of 5 business days
- Pharmacy team conducts comprehensive best possible medication history
- Consult letter and tailored geriatric drug information provided to enhance practice and professional development
Why might I refer to GeriMedRisk for a consult?
- Troubleshoot complex physical and mental health conditions. This may be while the patient is awaiting in-person support from Specialized Geriatric Services
Optimize medications or to develop a deprescribing plan
Identify drug interactions and adverse drug events
Receive information about drug-specific adverse drug events
How has GeriMedRisk helped clinicians like me?
- Primary care practitioners can receive a potential course of treatment/action and save their patients weeks or months of waiting for a specialist when an in-person referral is unnecessary. For example:
- Nurse practitioner consults GeriMedRisk for the management of a patient with dementia and behavioural symptoms.
- Pharmacists can leverage specialists in geriatric pharmacy and clinical pharmacology to optimize medications.
- Specialist physicians can access a timely second opinion from diverse specialists in geriatric psychiatry, geriatric medicine, clinical pharmacology, and geriatric pharmacy to avoid adverse drug events when prescribing. For example:
- Psychiatrist consults GeriMedRisk about drug interactions between a patient’s chemotherapeutic agents and antidepressants.
- Geriatrician consults GeriMedRisk for the management of a patient with treatment-resistant depression[PH1].
Testimonials - Clinician and patient experience
“[GeriMedRisk] is an excellent example of collaborative care. GeriMedRisk is extremely valuable in my eyes…Family were happy with the care and outcome.” -Family Physician, Ontario
“Without the [GeriMedRisk] recommendation I would still be on too many medications … It’s a great service and I would recommend it highly to anybody.” - Senior Patient, Ontario